April 26, 2012

Moments


            Hauntingly beautiful, heartwarming and seemingly everlasting: Our lives are littered with such moments. However, even among those moments, there are those that are so beautiful and magical, it’s hard to believe in their reality. Transient and yet, eternal, they feel like an unreal dream that never seizes to stop and yet somehow is never enough to satisfy us to our heart’s content. But at the end of the day, the only reason they are called moments is because they don’t last very long. Sad…
            I once read somewhere that “Life is not made up of minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, or years, but of moments. You must experience each one before you can appreciate it.” I believe I now find myself in the proper disposition to not only understand the meaning of this statement but also to acknowledge the ineffable beauty of these moments that make up our lives.
            That’s about all that inhabits my mind at this moment. My thoughts remind me of a certain quote by a famous American poet, novelist and story writer named Charles Bukowski. He once said, “Some moments are nice; some are nicer; some are even worth writing about.” For me, this was certainly one of those moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment